Summer 2015 Small Developer/Builder Boot Camp in Dallas
I have heard from a number of folks via email and phone calls that they would be interested in a hands-on workshop on basic skills needed as a small developer builder. There is an effort percolating to hold a one day workshop for Small Builders in Atlanta the day before the National Town Builders Association (NTBA) Fall Roundtable in October 16-18.
But that's all the way into late October and some are pressing for something much sooner.
I think we can put this together in the Dallas area rather inexpensively. If the folks attending cover their own travel, lodging and meals, we can find a venue at no cost. It could be a very Lean affair. A meet-up with other folks consider or practicing as Small Developer/Builders. Connect with some mentors, roll up our sleeves and get some skills.
Here's what we are thinking for content:
- Building for-rent vs. building for sale projects.
- How to do basic market research.
- Pro forma basics, sorting out your deal on paper.
- How to budget for hard and soft costs.
- Operating expense budgets and the property management basics.
- Site Selection - evaluating several sites to find the best one to start on.
- How your financing request looks to your Banker.
- Navigating the appraisal process.
- How to pitch a deal to an Investors.
- Deal Structures; aligning the interests of partners.
- Pop-up Retail and Street Markets; cultivating tenants (when you have no money).
- Understanding FHA Loan Programs 203(b) and 203(k) for 4 unit projects.
- Dealing with construction if you don't have a construction background (and even if you do).
- Common Sense design strategies and working with Architects and Engineers.
- Multiple on-ramps, scenarios for how to get started as a developer/builder.
- A standard 4-plex deal; all residential or small mixed use building.
- A standard Cottage Court deal.
What other content should we look at covering?
We are thinking folks would arrive in time for food and drink on Friday evening, leave after lunch on Sunday. We are doing this on August 14-16, Who's in?
We are also looking at what topics should we tackle for a couple of webinars in the near term. The intent on all of this is to find ways for Small Developer/Builders, (both rookies and more seasoned types) to reduce their learning curve, share lessons learned, pick up new skills, and find people to collaborate with.
What say you? Post comments here or email me: email@example.com